Thursday, October 27, 2005

 
Hi, I'd like to tell a story about something that happened to me. I was sitting at home just the other day, watching some tv, when there was a knock on my door, and I went to the door to see who it was, and it was a woman with no eyes, and she had a stack full of comic books...

Oh, that's another story.

Hi, I'd like to tell a story about something that happened to me. I was on Soulseek, trying to download something or other, when someone who had apparently been scanning my files sent me a message and asked if I was interested in some rare Men Without Hats tracks, and I (being a late-to-the-party huge Men Without Hats fan, stop your snarky laughter ignorant one) said yes, please, and they proceeded to hook me up with four live shows, a rehearsal tape from 1983, demos from 1980, and the Freeways EP.

It was somewhat stunning.

I don't have time to get into it, but I've grown more and more firm on the point that Men Without Hats are a seriously important band. I loved the whole damn Rhythm Of Youth album back when it came out, but didn't really grasp the group's true greatness till years later. I'm pretty convinced at this point that Pop Goes The World is one of the great concept albums of our time (though what exactly the concept is, I'm still not sure).

I'm aware that MWH have an unusually devoted fanbase, so I doubt that anything I'm posting will be new to them. I thought I'd offer the rest of you a chance to vote on what to hear. I have the following (tracklistings don't vary much, sound is uniformly excellent):

Montreal Spectrum 1985
Edmonton 1984
Toronto 1983
Washington 1984

Thursday evening I'll post the show that gets the most (or any, as the case may be) requests.

In the meantime, here's a rehearsal version of Roxy Music's Editions Of You. And a few tracks that I've been obsessively listening to from The Adventures of Women & Men Without Hate in the 21st Century:

Hey Men by Men Without Hats (kind of their T Rex song)
Everybody's Selling Something (kind of their Mott The Hoople Song)
I'm In Love (I don't know, you tell me, but I loves it)

If you ask me, Allmusic seriously underrates this album.



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?